Sunday, July 1, 2012

Happy Canada Day

I started my day with a great rollerblade with Carmen. I was worried about my feet since I had my orthotics made into custom sandals so they are no longer able to be put in my rollerblades. We did two loops of Greenway park while catching up on the latest life events and working out some more details for Italy. It was really hot out, even though it was only 9am!

I got home and decided a refreshing breakfast smoothie would be the way to go. From the freezer, I grabbed ½ banana and about a cup of strawberries. Into the fridge for almond milk and over to the storage shelf for my protein powder.


I know, it’s a bit of a plug for arbonne but I tried it after having issues with Whey protein and haven’t looked back.

I dropped them all into my Ninja, pulsed it until nice and smooth. It usually turns out like ice cream but if you let it sit for a few minutes, it starts to liquefy enough to drink. Mmmm… so refreshing and filling!


I did a few errands around the house and a bit of flight planning online, I took a journey over to visit my friend Tina at Vic. After a nice chat sharing old camping stories and other random tales I popped into no frills for a few groceries on my way home. I picked up the fixins while I was there to make some homemade mac and cheese to freeze into easy meal packages. I got home and couldn’t shake the desire to have some of my own. I tried so hard but I was so warm I didn’t want to cook so I gave in. One ENTIRE box of KD spirals was my lunch. I had the best intentions of having scrambled eggs for lunch but that went out the window fast. Ah well, no use fretting about it, I had the rest of the day to redeem myself.

The dinner hour came and went without being hungry (not surprising because I had KD at 2:30 or so). I had to whip something up for dinner once Neil and I started feeling hungry. I remembered I had a PC Fajita kit in the cupboard and some chicken strips in the freezer. I’m not sure what inspired me to pick up this back of frozen cooked chicken pieces from Loblaws one day but it has been so handy for those last minute dinner needs.


As Neil went outside to tend to our (his, really) garden I chopped and sautéed some veggies together with some thawed chicken strips. I tend to always have peppers in the house so it was an easy meal to whip up.


Higgins looked very interested in trying it too.


Add fajita mix to wraps, add gingerale to wine/strawberry/sugar/oj mix and you have the least Canadian dinner ever. Yes, I know it’s kind of ghetto to be having sangria in a water glass but really, I wasn’t aiming for class tonight.


When Neil was outside, he mentioned I needed to bring in some Kale or else it was going to be eaten by all the bugs. I decided to make these Kale chips everyone has been raving about. I stripped them off the stalk, sprayed some butter flavored pam on them then sprinkled them with garlic and chive salt (the Epicure grinder kind) and tossed them in the oven for 10 minutes. I was happy with the results but I can’t say they’re going to be the first snack I run to when I’m dying for something salty and crunchy.

My goal for Monday was go to lift at the gym but I think I’ll stay home and do my elliptical for an hour or so. I’m doing a weight / strength class at the gym Tuesday night with Sabrina so I want to be sure I’m not over working my muscles (yeah, that’s the real reason…).

I hope you all had a great Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment