Thursday, January 10, 2013

I double dare you

There I was. Face to face with them. On sale, bonus airmiles. Dare. Jumbo. Gums. Not just the small bag - the big one.

I had wandered into the junk food aisle while grocery shopping tonight. I don’t normally shop the inside of the store but I was drawn to by the bulk candy bin at the end. “Just a few” I thought “What’s the harm?”

I walked into the candy aisle, looked up and saw the Maynards on sale, with bonus air miles, then down to the jubes, then up, then down again, then over to the mini eggs and finally back again to the jumbo gums. Aaaannnddd… I walked away! I was so proud of myself. I worked my way all the way down to the end to get the kitty litter (which was the intention of my trip to Metro), checked out and escaped without the wee little sugar devils in my bag.

Prior to that, I ate really well today (for my recent standards). Omelet for breakfast, winter root veggie soup for lunch one, chicken thighs and sweet tater hash for second lunch.

To prepare for dinner, I got up early and sautéed carrots, onion and garlic together for chicken curry. I tossed it in the crockpot and then put the chicken thighs in the pan while it was still warm to get a little crisp on the chicken before tossing them on top of the other stuff in the pot. I added the chicken broth then opened up the coconut milk tetra back. I failed to see the “shake well before use” label and proceeded to spill a milk like fluid followed by chunks of solid white chunks into the broth. Sigh. I managed to get it all mixed together and then added it with the curry paste to the crockpot.

Eight (ish) hours later, Neil and I walked in the door. He looked at me and said “What’s that smell?” I said it was dinner to which he replied “Oh, I thought it was garbage”.  <double sigh> I made up some rice for Neil and then made some cauliflower rice, which consists of pulsing it until it was rice sized. Put it on a cookie sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake at 350 for 15 min. Luckily it didn’t taste like garbage. Not too bad for my first curry attempt.

Tomorrow is the first time I’ve been to see my trainer in a one-on-one session in almost two months. Immediately after, I’m treating myself to a hotdog dinner from Costco. It’s all about balance, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment