Monday, January 7, 2013

Kitty shed thirty... now she wants more!

Fifty pounds didn’t happen in 2012 but I did make it to 30 and I’m happy with that. The scale is moving in the right direction so overall I’m doing something right.

This year I do want to try for 50 again. My original goal was to lose 80lbs in total to get me into “healthy” range for the first time in my adult life. This is meant to be a life change, learn to eat and live better for the rest of my life, not just the next few years.

I know I’m one of many people who will be starting the new year with a new set of goals but in my defense I start over fresh many, many times in a year so I'm not really jumping on a bandwagon. This time I have a big motivation behind the reboot. I’ve been sick, on and off for nearly 10 weeks. I’ve been throwing up or nauseous often during that time span but nearly every day for the past 3 weeks.

No, I’m not pregnant but my doctor is a bit baffled over what’s going on. I’ve already had a lady parts ultrasound, which the ultrasound tech said he saw a cyst on my ovary but couldn’t say much more until the radiologist took a look. I’ve been scheduled for an abdominal ultrasound and an upper GI fluoroscope x-ray to check to see if I have a gal stone or an ulcer.

I’ve also been having more joint pain than usual. My knees get achy so much faster than in the past year and my back and neck have been flaring up like crazy. I’m trying to avoid the meds for pain relief so I’ve been stretching more often and using heat as much as possible.

To try to help get things in check, I’m going to get back to eating clean(er) and make sure that I’m not having a joint flare up from too much gluten. To help me in my planning, I joined a website that helps with meal planning and grocery shopping. It came to me in a groupon for emeals.com and I’ve been loving the meal plans that have come my way for the Paleo eating plan. I’m introducing a bit of rice and quinoa to their plans but other than that I’ve been happy with the meal options. You can pick from ten different eating plans including gluten free, low fat, low carb and eating clean. The offer is still available for another 9 days so check it out if it's something you're interested in.

Today was balsamic chicken with butternut squash “slaw”. I was concerned about the raw squash but on man was it tasty! I used my ninja mixer to “shred” the squash instead of using the grater like they suggested.

1 large butternut squash, peeled and seeded
½ c chopped green onions
2 T olive oil
2 T white vinegar
2 t minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Basically shred the squash, add the rest and mix. I also added a little apple cider vinegar to add a bit more zing. Neil enjoyed and so that’s a big check mark for the emeals team.

Okay - to sum up the post, I’m starting fresh. Back to the gym, back to eating well. Fifty two weeks, fifty pounds - come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment