Saturday, February 19, 2011

A little history lesson.

I’ve always been big. When I wasn’t considered heaviest I was the tallest - back row centre in all the elementary school class photos. In high school I was evening out height wise but the weight just kept creeping up. Thankfully  it was the 90’s and jeans, baggy tees with a flannel over shirt were all the rage. College was probably my heaviest point factoring in the late night A&P trips and the post bar grub. Activity was never high on my priority list, nor was watching what I ate.

I thought in today’s entry I’d give you all a little history lesson on my previous attempts to lose weight. This is not, by any means, my first attempt at weight loss. It all started just after I finished College. My dad was diagnosed with late onset diabetes and my mom had her share of health problems as well. I came to realize that the extra weight wasn’t just an issue about my looks but for my future health. Being more socially than physically active I decided it was time to get moving and do something about my diet. I’ve tried so many different weight loss programs, pills and tricks I can barely remember them all. I’ll list a few of the ones I remember:

  • Detox (both liquid diet versions as well as supplements to eating)
  • Health club nutritionist
  • Holistic nutritionist
  • Personal trainer alone
  • Personal trainer with 12 week fat loss meal plan
  • Calorie counting software
  • Jenny Craig
  • Green tea / CLA pills
  • Naturopathic counseling

I’ve also had many excuses for gaining the weight back. My most famous (and probably most legitimate) were when I ruptured my Achilles tendon five years ago and when I had my knee scope a year ago November. The recovery time was long and an incredibly painful. The other reasons range from eating due to stress, PMS, general boredom/laziness and being really comfortable in my relationship. There was a time where the money wasn’t exactly flowing and let’s be honest - eating healthy isn’t really cheap. What is cheap is generally high fat, low quality fast food. Mmmm… Taco Bell.

This time - no excuses. If I have a bad day, so be it - suck it up buttercup and move on. Don’t give up on the day’s eating or even the week’s eating because of it. I need to get back to the gym. Having too much work to do is not a valid excuse - especially since there’s a full service gym at my work. BRING IT ON!!

In my next post I'm going to outline my plan for this latest (and hopefully last) round of weight loss.

If you feel like it - let me know what you’ve done to shed a few pounds either with great success or horrible failure. It’s good to hear some new options but also what to stay far away from.

1 comment:

  1. I have no really good weight loss stories. Sadly, the only times recently that I've noticed a different (for the looser) in my clothes were a) after 10 days of hiking ridiculous mountains in New Zealand, and b) after a weekend in the mountains here doing caving, rock climbing and hiking, all with a horrible cold that made me so miserable I barely ate anything.
    Since there's a full service gym at your work, and since I'm not there to whimper alongside you as you work out, I FULLY expect you to BRING IT!! I shall look forward to your reports :)

    ReplyDelete