Monday, February 28, 2011

Band-it

So, I was asked by a few people today about my arm band that I wear. I never really have it out on display but it’s about two inches square on my left tricep so it’s hard to hide, even under a sweater. When I was poked in the square today I explained that I wear it to track my calories burned / steps taken etc. There is a science behind it but the coolest thing about it is that you can see minute by minute how many calories you burned during a specific activity. Walking to work from the bus, spikes it up. Walking around the mall, makes a spike. Dancing the night away at the club - you guessed it - spikes. There are many activities that cause spikes but I’ll let you fill in those blanks.

When you take it off, you pop the box out of the band and synch it with your computer. It charges via USB and then posts it to the site. I do have a display piece that you can keep a closer eye on things for more of a track on the fly way but that won’t help me track what each activity or keep track of everything past one day of use. I’ll decide in a few months whether to keep the software or use a free online tracker and just track the calories out myself. I guess it depends on how much weight I’ve lost by then and my confidence in myself to go on without it.

When I started attempting to lose weight I had no idea how many calories I burn on an average day and I thought *maybe* 1800 calories. Turns out on a normal day I burn about 2700 calories. On Saturday I burned a whopping 3900 calories between the gym, running around shopping, cleaning and dancing! The software helps me track the calories I put in my body so I try to make sure that in doesn’t exceed out and voila! Weight loss! Hope you had a great Monday and remember to bundle up tomorrow if you’re in London. Bitter chill comes to mind when I see the forecast.

2 comments:

  1. 3900 calories! That's insane! I guess you'll just have to party every weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your calorie thingy sounds cool! You should definitely party often.

    ReplyDelete