Thursday, January 8, 2015

Beet it! OOH HOO! Beet it!

I had to drive myself today as Neil took the day off. I wasn't looking forward to it - I bundled up as the car hadn't moved since I came home from derby Tuesday. There was probably eight inches of snow on it but thankfully no ice so once I made the multiple passes with my car broom I was able to zip off down our freshly plowed side streets (which I might note are never plowed this quickly after a big snowfall - must be a fresh budget).

I treated C.C. (short for Coca-Cola - what I named my red Matrix) to indoor parking for the day and I hopped across the street to work. Eggs and shake for breakfast again (super filling) then had some left over zoodles (what peeps on my message board are calling zucchini noodles but to me just means tasty animal shaped pasta) with meat sauce and a side of mashed cauliflower. Around 3:30 I had some muffnuts which kept me full until I made the trek to my adjustment then back to get the car.

My brother showed up just after I got home, shortly followed by the "suit guy" who was coming over to help him pick out a new fabric swatch for his custom suit as the one he had chosen was out of stock. I had decided earlier I wasn't going to derby but would try to make it to a Body Pump class instead (derby ended up being cancelled for the night anyway). When the guys had left it was coming up on 6:00 and if I was going to head out, I'd have to get moving. I almost had myself convinced that it was too cold and by the time I got out it'd be all blowy and nasty but then Neil said I should go - and he was right. The Col. Talbot and Southdale location had a 6:30 class so I figured I'd have just enough time to get there.

Before I left I thought I'd try some of the Jello I made for Neil and scooped a big tablespoon of it into my mouth. It took about two seconds for me to realize "OH CRAP! Jello is pretty much ALL sugar!" and proceeded to spit it out in the sink. After a laugh I took off out the door.

I got there with five minutes to spare. I nearly kicked out a few times but I made it through (although my arms are starting to feel like lead). After walking out the door, starting to realize how hungry I was and all I could think of is when I got home I wanted a sweet potato SO badly! This made me giggle because I used to walk out, see the Timmies right in front of the plaza and think of how I wanted a sprinkle donut SO badly.

When I got home I set up the spiralizer for the ribbon setting and got to peeling my sweet tater and a pretty big beet. Neil offered to help me since he currently thinks it's pretty fun to make freaky veggie curls. They didn't ribbon so much as they came out in potato chip sized pieces. Ah well, at least they were mostly uniform. I spread the orange and purple beauties out on a baking sheet with parchment, drizzled with olive oil, pepper, salt and ground thyme and tossed them in the oven on broil.

Within two minutes I started to smell burning - not normal food cooking burning but fire type burning. I opened the door to see the parchment starting to turn really brown. Neil asked what was wrong and I remembered how he told me that even oven-ready parchment paper burns at 450. What was the broiler set to? You guessed it - 450. I turned down the oven a bit and finished cooking them (which was when I started to smell the food burning type of burning). I broke up the last of the two meat lumps, warmed them up and loaded up my plate with the veggies. OM NOM NOM!

One thing that has been really hard not to do while switching doing this "sugar detox" is not weighing myself. This is meant to be a lifestyle change - let my taste buds regroup, show my body how it can function when the right fuel is provided. We'll see how long I last...

No comments:

Post a Comment