Sunday, January 4, 2015

The countdown begins.

It's that time again - turn over a new leaf, start a new plan, fresh start v14.2 - whatever you want to call it. Even I'm rolling my eyes at myself for the ump-teenth time of trying to get my eating and general health in line.

This time it's more of a necessity as I don't fit my wedding dress as well as I'd like (read: I'd like to eat on my wedding day). When I had one year till the wedding I said "Great - lots of time! No rush, take it slow and steady". Six months out "Still good, just make some small adjustments and I'll be fine". I'm coming up on four months out (126 days to be exact) and I'm starting to panic a little.

It's not like my dress is four sizes to small. When I bought it - it was perfect. I happen to have put on a few pounds where I feel that the dress will be uncomfortable to wear all night. It's still in a state that I can wear it, I'd just have to get some alterations done so my skin doesn't show through the corset back.

In any case I've decided to take the route of getting added sugar out of my life. I'm definitely a sugar addict but not so much as I used to be. I've been able to keep pop out of my life (with the exception of a random club soda that I add crystal light to) since June 2nd but it's been hard. Low calorie water flavour mixes have helped me overcome the cravings but now they're off the list as well.

I know it's going to be an adjustment but I've already prepared a bunch of things that will be easy to munch on and cook up for a quick meal. I made a big batch of "loaded" mashed cauliflower and have chicken marinating in the fridge for tomorrow. The nice thing about some of the new ways of thinking about eating well is just to eat REAL food. Nothing with a long list of ingredients, trying to avoid any artificial sweeteners and anything labeled "low fat" or "non-fat".

I'll back to derby this week with a three hour practice on Tuesday and I'm hoping to start Thursday league practice (two hours) this week as well. I'm going to be doing Body Pump 2-3 times as well to ensure I get some upper body training in there. It might seem like a lot but I think it's something I can maintain so long as I plan Body Pump around times where I don't feel like my legs are going to fall off after doing some endurance drills at practice.

The goals are pretty simple
1) shed a few pounds
2) increase cardio and endurance for skating
3) strengthen muscles to support damaged joints (currently elbow and knees - hopefully those will remain the only ones)

Follow along - let's see how I do!

1 comment:

  1. Some things that have helped me succeed in kicking artificial and refined sugars out of my life are:
    -Changing my views (especially in my vulnerable craving and hangry moods) to "I used to eat that but I make better choices now" instead of "I'm denying myself something I really love that actually isn't good for me but I want it now, now, now!"
    -Using sweeteners such as honey, coconut sugar, pure maple syrup, dates, sweet potatoes along with fresh fruits. I try to eat fresh fruit as an occasional dessert or with a protein source so that my body doesn't keep craving the sweet it provides.
    -Exploring new foods, spices and new recipes (how I discovered my recent addiction to pomegranates).
    -Choosing complex carbs to help avoid the quick up and down of a refined sugar rush.
    -Reading labels really carefully.
    -Eating nutritionally and protein dense meals (I try also to avoid snacking when possible) so that I feel fuller for longer and not as swayed by a quick sugar fix.

    Just my thoughts on what has helped me. Keep up the awesome work! Old habits and patterns take time to change but I know you're persistent and motivated.

    ReplyDelete