I slept terribly last night but I'm thinking that's due to the overload of food I ate close to trying to hit the hay (maybe curry noodles might not have been the best decision ever for a bed time snack).
The morning went along well until I got to the car and found all four of Neil's car doors frozen shut. I went back inside to get some of my trusty 99% alcohol to pour on the really stuck parts to try to get the ice to a manageable amount. Since we weren't sure what it would do to his car (I've only used it in frozen locks) we went to the tried and true "scrape and hip check" method.
My breakfast was two small pumpkin carrot muffins I made Saturday night. They're not quite normal muffin texture but they do remind me of donuts with the spices in them. Somewhere between an old fashioned and a sour cream (anyone else remember those terrible dry old fashions?!).
Lunch was bacon wrapped chicken thighs (a personal favourite of mine) and a portion of the loaded mashed cauliflower. I sort of forgot something green to eat with it but I was running around a little crazy-like this morning and forgot to toss a small salad together. I did wander into the food dessert area of the caf as I was heading to the microwave room and spotted the carrot cake which I forgot to purchase as a fond farewell before I started to kick the sugar out. I sighed a little to myself and kept moving.
My afternoon snack (green apple, nuts and cucumber) happened a little earlier than usual but I ate it slowly so it helped get me through the afternoon.
Dinner was chicken quarters I had marinating in a rub/paste since last night. I roast it really close to the top element in the oven and it takes no time at all and comes out really juicy! Sides were brussels sprouts (mmmmmm) and cauliflower "rice" pan fried with some ghee, garlic and spices. This was sort of a fail for me but I'm still going to keep at it. One day I'm hoping I'll magically find the secret to perfect size/texture for cauliflower to make it work. It would help if I had a proper food processor, not a "must destroy everything" ninja blender.
I snacked on a half muffin and prepped dinner for tomorrow night since I have to leave for derby about 45 min after I get home to ensure I have enough time to get my gear on before practice starts. If I eat too close to practice, I'm always afraid I'm going to ralph once we get started. If I don't eat enough or eat the right stuff, I'm afraid I won't last practice and the drive home without becoming weak physically or psychologically (there are WAY too many fast food places on the drive home).
I'm feeling pretty good about today but I'm already starting to spot some villains around the house. The 1/3 left in the box chocolate covered digestive cookies, the cookie dough chocolate bar in the tea cupboard and my nemesis - the rolo hot chocolate mix, which I've been known to take tablespoons of and shove directly into my mouth. Sort of like the cinnamon challenge but much, much better tasting end result.
I'm so proud of you Cat! This sounds like a great resolution and like you're taking the right steps to see it through. I can sympathize with psychological weakness when it comes to fast food - that's a problem for me too! As a student I'm watching it for budgetary more than dietary reasons right now, though I have put on some weight since I moved to Windsor. My new life of sitting in class and sitting to do readings is a big shift from 60+ minutes on my bike 5 days a week in Toronto. I might need to steal some of your quick, can-be-prepared-ahead-of-time meal recipes since school timing is already kicking my ass and it's only the first day of the term.
ReplyDeleteYou can totally do this! :D