This morning I woke up at my usual 7:15 which is about an hour earlier than I had hoped. I popped in some contacts so I could be sure to see everything the instructor was doing. I had a weight watchers frozen egg mcmuffin thing. I filled my water bottle, put my winters on and took a step outside.
Um. Yeah. My car is the red wagon you can sort of see peeking out there.
The snow on my front step was just over my boot level (we're talking mid calf). I made it four steps towards my car and said "eff it, I'm not going". I stepped back in the house and thought - no, you need to do this. I shouted up to Neil to ask if I could borrow his car because for some reason, it only had a giant snow drift on one side (and his Subaru has AWD with wicked snow tires).
I made my way across the parking lot to his car and brushed off enough snow with my mitten to get at the snow brush in the back seat. I shut the door and noticed the drift was covering a large portion of his wheels and the general snow level was above the floor level of the car. I took a step back and said "seriously, eff it - I'm not going" and turned away from the car and took a few steps back towards the house.
I stopped and thought, "no - you need to do this" and went back to the car, brushed it off and motored on towards the western fair market. It was decent driving once I got out of our poorly maintained road with the exception of those people too lazy to clear off their lights. Seriously unsafe but I kept my distance to be sure I could figure out where people were going.
Once at the market I found my way upstairs (past many vendors who weren't open due to the weather) and checked in for my first class. I didn't realize that they didn't have many loaner mats otherwise I would have brought my own. The instructor helped me find one then set me up front row, dead centre. I made it through, doing some modifications on the poses since my balance isn't the best. I felt great after - refreshed and stretched but not dizzy since there aren't any inversions in their class.
The roads were a bit busier on the way back but I was able to navigate around with confidence. I got home, waded through the parking lot and was greeted by a nice and toasty house. I had enough time to rehydrate, have a protein shake, check my gear and roll out with Neil for some skating.
We arrived at North London Optimist Community Center (NLOCC) and geared up. We had some great skating together and apart - he's more comfortable on his skates so I don't like to hold him back the entire time. I lasted a decent amount of time and was able to get my crossovers into an okay place. I managed to stay upright (by that I mean skating in derby stance and not on my ass) the entire time, and was able to practice my stopping here and there were small children and teenagers (dressed like this) scattered on the rink.
We rewarded our hard work with some McD's (grilled chicken snack wraps for me, bacon cheeseburgers for Neil) and came home to rest before going to the movies. After we cleaned ourselves up Neil started to develop a headache so be both put our jammies on and nestled in for a warm quiet night in with breakfast for dinner (feeling lazy and craving facon).

No comments:
Post a Comment