Today marks the official restart of my mission to lose 50 pounds in one year. Seems easy enough. Less than one a week, slow and steady, right? Riiiiiiiight...
Neil asked me what number I'm at for restarting. I don't even know what number I'm at - it depends on how long ago you start counting. Let's just say it's a new start and leave it at that.
I've decided to go with Weight Watchers again, this time doing meetings instead of just doing it online. I had a fair bit of success on WW but then decided the $25 a month or so after tax was too much and that My Fitness Pal would be the free way to go. I maintained for a little but then did my usual gain back with some additional pounds.
I finally got the urge to get back on track when my "fat pants" I keep around were starting to get a bit snug. I made a decision to not buy more clothes, just try to shrink to fit the ones I have. It was only at that point that I stepped on a scale. Yikes! How did I let this happen?
I mentioned to my friend that I was thinking of joining again and she said we should try to go to meetings together. I've never been one for group sharing and activities but I thought I'd give it a go as there's no contract when you sign up for the monthly pass. We finally had the opportunity to synch up and went to our first meeting together after work tonight.
At first, there were only a few people being herded into a line that ended at two ladies with scales posted in front of them. I felt like I might have been enlisting in some sort of weight loss army, with them at the end waiting to judge you on your ability to become "ONE OF US".
As time went on in the weigh in portion of the meeting, the line grew and the number of empty seats dwindled until there was standing room only. I've got to say I was impressed by the number of people putting their faith in this leader, planning on taking us through a life long commitment to becoming healthy.
I left feeling encouraged, but I think the main thing that will come out of the meetings for me is a slight bit of accountability. I think that's what I've been missing with the programs I've done in the past - someone to encourage you when you're doing well.
The thing I might be missing is the person who would shame me like those animals and children you see posted now with their signs. My shame sign would probably read something like:
"I ate a bowl of ice cream covered in nestle quick powder, peanut butter and mini m&ms. My leader thought I should show the world how much of a fatty I am"
I do, overall, think this is going to help me. One part having a friend to go with and the second to have to weigh in with someone every week. I do weigh myself but there's something of a finality of having a stranger put a stamp in your book then write your weight in beside it, like you don't want to disappoint this stranger.
I'm hoping to post more often, hopefully less blathering than this one. I've had two benedryl to take the edge off some mid-winter itches and it's making me a bit off.
Let's see how this weight loss run turns out this time. Maybe it will actually end up with me being able to nail the Tough Mudder I signed up for in mid-August!
No comments:
Post a Comment