Thursday, February 13, 2014

Slip Boom Bah!

If you don't count getting injured, Wednesday was a great day!

From work I took a nice brisk walk down to the Service Ontario office to get my sticker. The same two people were there and the woman remembered me from yesterday. After a few bits of laughter with them (at a government agency?!) I walked back to the office to meet up with Neil.

We drove straight to Palasad to get our free hour of bowling on. One thing I failed to mention was that our friends had tweeted Palasad after our bad service visit two weeks ago. They received a response back quickly and after a few emails back and forth were mailed some gift certificates with apologies on top of the free bowling we had been offered the day we had the bad service. They were nice enough to share the certificates with us so it made it a very cheap evening out.

The bowling was hilarious!It was funny to see what happened with the whole boys vs girls set up, the chirping, the cheering. We ordered our dinner so it would be ready in good time for us to get out of there in time to get to derby and skate without revisiting our wings.

After figuring taking a few minutes to figure out how to get to the Oneida Community Centre, we took off into the night to officially start the 12 week fresh meat program (they told us later that last week didn't really count). I had a blast! It wasn't like we were doing any thing that was specifically fun or outrageous, it was just nice to be active with a bunch of new people.

I did a few things that made my body go eek (I'm talking to you, left knee taps) but I just stopped doing them and focused on doing other skills. I was totally feeling the burn near the end - we did a pyramid where we had to sprint for 10 seconds, then hold squats 10 seconds. Then 20/20, 30/30, 30/30, 20/20, 10/10. Oh man, did that BURN!

The last 20 minutes we were free to skate, work on form or skills and ask the trainers anything we wanted. I was working on my form but then tried to work on transitions (turning around). I was feeling good about it but then I just slipped and fell on my left arm and hip.

At first it just sort of hurt. Then it started to burn. I decided it was time to get off the skates since there was only about 5 minutes left. I took the pad off the injured left elbow and felt a bit more of a rush of pain. I used my left hand to try to take off my right elbow pad and that's when another pain flush happened when I tried to grip it to pull it off. Neil came to check on me a few times - I asked him to get the pad off but then told him to get back out and finish up. He went around a few times but then came around and said I looked like I was going to cry, which I was, and he decided to pack up too so I can get some ice on it. I knew it wasn't broken but something felt like it snapped when I tried to straighten it.

I grabbed some snow and put it in a towel for the ride home. When I went to stand up from being in the car for the over 20 minute commute back to London, my legs were like jello! I took a few painkillers and had a quick shower (that was hard) and went to bed. I had a hard time since I fell on my left hip twice during practice so when I had to shift weight using my hip instead of my arm, it wasn't exactly comfortable.

Today I was able to get to see the nurse at work to get some ice and advice on whether to immobilize or if I should stretch, carry on as usual. She said it's more than likely just swollen, which was causing my lack of range (which made shampooing and blowdrying my hair a little difficult) and I should keep it in a sling to keep it rested, at least for a few days. She made me one but when I got home, I dug out my star scarf I bought in Italy over a year ago (and have never used) to make a newer, jazzier one.

Regardless of all this, I'm still going back next Wednesday (pending the swelling goes down and my mobility returns). I'm hoping I can be steady enough Sunday to go to NLOCC for some practice but I don't want to push it (despite what Salt n' Peppa want me to do).

Almost forgot! Today was weigh in day and I was up 3lbs since two weeks ago. I'm not upset about it since I had a nice (read food filled) birthday weekend. I picked up a few healthy, no fuss meal options from the grocery store before we left to try to have a good long weekend, eating wise, and get back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment