Friday, February 21, 2014

Where does it hurt?

I decided to take a trip to urgent care after work to get my arm checked out. I was on the fence about it for a few days thinking it was just nerves begin all twitchy from being banged after the walking into the post thing. I didn't think it would be broken since I can move every part of it my arm, the throbbing was just getting out of control.

I checked in at 4:15, saw the triage nurse and was sent to x-ray. I was hanging out in the waiting area watching the olympic highlights and the news for about an hour and a half. Neil did some overtime then came to hang out with me. Of course, I was called in as he was minutes away from the door and since it was after their normal hours, the doors were locked. The nurse let me bust out to get him when he sent me the alert text he was there but he was actually locked out of the building, not just urgent care! I had to get someone to hold the door to urgent care so I could get in so I could go break him in to the building.

About 45 minutes later I was seen by the doc who asked me my story and where I was feeling pain. I pointed it out to her and said to let her know when her poking hurt. I was starting to feel like a fraud because she started poking around. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nope. Nuh - unh. YIKES! She stopped and said that's where the radiologist said my suspected fracture was. I was happy that I actually did something proper to warrant a trip in to be seen and get an x-ray. I know that sounds bad but there's nothing worse than feeling you wasted your time as well as a bunch of medical professionals who could be helping others.

She asked if I had coverage and said I did so she said she'd get me one of the "good" slings and referred me to the hand and upper limb clinic. I'll find out more on that in a few days once they call with my appointment but for now, I'm supposed to live in the sling (even sleep in it). I'm glad she got the "good" one for me - it's so much better than the make shift one that I was using which was giving me headaches from pulling on my neck.

I've already asked my sister-in-law if she can use her fancy pants embroidery machine to do some custom embroidery on it to make it more "me".

Eating today was one of my best attempts this week. I packed up lots of snacks so I wouldn't be starving while waiting and less tempted to source out a vending machine for treats while at urgent care. I think one of the ways I'll be able to get over the sugar cravings is to work more fruit into my snacks to get that satisfaction in a more natural way. Today was an navel orange cut up with pineapple chunks mixed in. I also had a honeycrisp apple and yogurt with frozen berries mixed in.

Tomorrow I'll be heading in to work for a few hours before heading down to Chatham to visit a friend I haven't seen in a few months. We're going cross border shopping and it's going to be hard to avoid the fun amurican candies and treats but I'm going to be strong (or at least try really, really hard to). No chocolate chip cookie dough oreos for me... <sigh>

No comments:

Post a Comment