I went to Costco yesterday and was able to keep mostly to my shopping list while avoiding the hot dogs and the ice cream! One of the things I picked up that wasn't on my list was a cook book called "Nom Nom Paleo - food for humans". I've always felt better when reducing my grains / wheat back when I was trying to figure out what was making me randomly get sick so often. I'm not gluten intolerant, I just think I feel less bloated when I don't eat it as often. I picked it up (mostly because of the cover) and browsed through it. It was cute and fun so I thought at $23 I can't really go wrong.
I read it (yes, I actually read something) before going to bed and I enjoyed reading about how she ended up following the paleo lifestyle and then reading further on what kind of food I should and shouldn't be eating depending on how far I want to get into it. I'll give some of her recipes a try and see how it goes. I'm not swearing off bread and desserts, just doing some research into seeing how I feel again when I reduce/remove them for a while.
Today at work I was feeling kind of blah. I really, really didn't want to go to the gym, even though I was going a half hour earlier than usual (thanks to the extra time I had put in prior to today). I even got my shiny new Mac at work but it wasn't enough to cheer me up. I was getting frustrated with a PPT that wasn't exporting properly to PDF and that even wasn't the best way this whole project should have been approached from the beginning <sigh>.
Ah well. I talked myself up for the gym following a round of "name that tune" with my co-worker who was trying to figure out the FM96 one second song blip contest thing.
I went into the change room and heard some younger ladies discussing how long their hair had grown. One of them piped in that she thought her hair was growing more around x time in her life, probably because she was cutting it more frequently. <blink blink> It took all I had not to go to the other side of the lockers and say "Your hair grows from your scalp, not from the ends". Yes, it's true that getting regular trims can help keep your hair looking healthier by trimming off the thin, dead ends so they don't split further up your hair shaft, but cutting it regularly doesn't make it actually grow faster.
They went on to chat about House of Cards so I calmed down a bit, especially when they mentioned that they didn't see a few of the things coming which I hadn't either. I won't spoil it but somebody dies at some point.
I did 45 minutes of the elliptical while watching an episode of Criminal Minds then packed up to walk to Neil's car. I picked him up and set off on our journey to KW to pick up our skates. We stopped for nuggets on the way (I was starving) and then arrived at the shop just before they closed for the night. One of the owners was really great helping us out with how they should fit and feel. They already felt great but they were just a bit too long for me - my foot was slipping out the back.
She was also disappointed that they didn't fit me and promised to tack them on to an order she's placing early next week and will ship them out to me for free when they arrive. Great customer service and incredibly nice to deal with. If you're in the market for roller skates or other derby based items, I highly recommend Electric Skate Co.
Neil's skates were a success so at least the trip wasn't a complete let down. We searched out a Subway and, no thanks to Google, found one just a little ways back towards the highway. Since my Weight Watchers app was crashing on my phone I had no idea how many points I had left. I decided not to chance it and have a ham and swiss salad. I had a little of the shredded lettuce but asked for mostly spinach and added a bunch of veggies with a dollop of sweet onion dressing.
We made it home safe and I put my points in I found out I had enough for a half cup of breyers double churned vanilla. I curled up to write this and will be heading to be shortly since Neil for reals wants to get up early to go into work. Another attempt at a morning workout for me - we'll see what ends up happening.
No comments:
Post a Comment