I woke up Saturday with a terrible stomach ache. I was really nauseous so I went down to the couch and curled up in a little ball waiting for the chewy pepto to kick in. I woke up to my alarm after a lack luster nap so I could clean up in time for my haircut.
After I got jazzed up I did leave feeling a bit better but I think that's a side effect of being pampered. I got home, picked up my bag and popped a few more pepto (the new hair buzz was wearing off) and headed out on the road.
According to Google, it would take two hours and two minutes door to door. I always take into account that it's according to following the speed limit so I figured leaving 20 minutes early would give me enough wiggle room. Boy, was I wrong! There was an accident near Ikea in burlington which slowed things back up quite a bit. I got out of that and then felt I had a smooth ride ahead. For the rest of the trip I spent about 80 per cent of the time going less than 40km an hour and a portion of that absolutely stopped. I started getting small waves of nausea but I figured it was just stress of being stuck in traffic. I just cranked up my music, drank some water and sang at the top of my lungs.
I arrived with a little wiggle room to change for dinner and decompress from the drive. Dinner was at a really cool restaurant where they brought all sorts of meat to you, you just had to go get your sides yourself. I put some salad, rice, grilled veggies and a little mashed tater.
The first round of meat was bacon wrapped fillet mignon. It wasn't huge but it was just enough for a taste. I had another bit of meat and my stomach started to fight back. I had some rice to try to starch it up to take the edge off. No dice. I had a few bites of the roasted veggies, again no luck. I just took small bites here and there to try to get some nutrients. The last straw was the grilled pineapple. It was SO good, caramelized and warm. I had two bites and felt my stomach just knot up.
We got back to the room and I was just fighting the urge to ralph. I thought I'd stay with them just long enough until they moved to the next location then I'd head home. I didn't want to spend the night getting sick in a room with other people who are potentially going to be getting sick themselves.
I waited as long as I could but then I had to say goodbye and run down to our room. I picked up the car and motored home. Two hours and a bunch of borderline burps later I arrived home. It sucked that I left but I really didn't feel like taking up the bathroom all night or puking in a bucket at the Radisson.
Once I got home I curled up in a little ball again and tried to ride out the stomach cramps.
Sunday morning was a bit rough. I woke up around 7:30, stomach pains still there but not nearly as bad as the previous night. I wasn't hungry but decided I needed to eat something so I cooked up a big batch of rice to get me through the day.
I picked up groceries and made a batch of cookies for a buddy's birthday party. It was nice to visit with some derby peeps and help ring in another year of life for a great guy. I stayed and had a burger, veggies and a tasty bite of brownies. My stomach started rolling again so I thought it was time to head home. Nothing terrible happened but I definitely took it easy the rest of the night hanging out on the couch, starting to binge watch the FX series Fargo. It's pretty good, don'tchaknow?
No comments:
Post a Comment