Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Clarity

I am still super excited about achieving my goal but I wanted to clarify something about the length of time during which I’ve been losing weight. The weight loss to date has been as of February when I realized I was 6 pounds away from my heaviest weight ever.

In the three and a half weeks since I started eating differently, I’ve lost 13 pounds. I had already lost 12 pounds (at one point it was more but I had gained some back). I’m hoping to shed another 10 before my trip but it’s starting to edge closer and I’m starting to feel a little weak.

Today in our workshop, I reached for a mint to suck on to get me through to our lunch break. I put it in and then started to think about how much sugar is in it. I got up about three minutes after I put it in and spat it out in a napkin. Sounds a little obsessive, I know but there was a dish full of candy in front of me. I saw it as if I have one, I know I’m going to want the rest of the bowl before the end of the day. Self control is still not my strength so I’m just acknowledging it and avoiding it until I feel I’m ready to test myself.

This morning I dropped my car off again at Toyota. Turns out the noise in my engine were caused by my front engine mounts. One is apparently disintegrated and the other is close to that state. They’re quoting me $550 plus tax to replace them. I have a beef with this whole deal. When I bought the car just under a year ago, they were supposed to replace anything that was more than 50% worn. I was told that engine mounts being this far gone after only seven years is not normal which leads me to think that they should have been replaced before I took the car home last year. I had them pick me up at noon while on my lunch break, leaving them to decide what they can do for me.

I grabbed Harvey’s on the way back to work and got a burger with no bun, a salad and a diet pepsi. I love Harvey’s so it was a nice break in a rather long day. I was still able to get my snacks in through the afternoon thanks to another quick break and the fact that everyone else seemed to be eating in the workshop. I got home and cooked up some smoked meat and veggies then hit up MEC to see about a different backpack.

When I tried to load up Betty this morning, I found I couldn’t fit nearly as much stuff inside as my other bag, even though it seems to be the same size. When I found one to replace it (which really only was a make-due bag) the gentleman at the checkout who helped me last night commented on the switch. He said it was smaller than the one I was returning but I disagreed. He then opened up the lower portion of the bag and undid a hidden zipper which made the two compartments into one large one. I was able to fit my lunch bag into it after all! I felt like a bit of an idiot but in the end I was really happy because I love that bag!

I made a Costco run afterwards since there’s a long weekend coming up so I thought I’d grab some food before the grocery stores go crazy over the weekend in anticipation of the upcoming apocalypse, I mean long weekend. I stocked up on veggies, egg whites, turkey bacon and sausage. I’m going to grill those bad boys up on our new BBQ which Neil put together while I was out shopping. Om nom nom!

1 comment:

  1. That sucks about your car Cat, but here's hoping they acknowledge it was their error and it doesn't cost you $500 smackaroos to fix.

    I think, if you know self-control isn't you forte at the moment you did the right thing. No need to torture yourself with calorie counting if you can just ignore it for now and keep on with your healthy eating. Healthy eating beats calorie/intake counting every time!

    ReplyDelete