Monday, August 13, 2012

Eating my feelings


Saturday was a sad day for myself and many of my friends as our friend Tina lost her battle with ovarian cancer. She was a wonderful woman with an incredible smile and a sparkle in her eyes. May she rest in peace.

Neil and I were on our way to see a few friends for a barbeque in Hamilton when I got the call. He asked if I wanted to turn around and head home but I felt being with good friends would be better than coming home and being alone.

We had a great time with our friends and ate some great food. I was definitely using food as a coping mechanism so any little sweet tasty morsel around was fair game. I didn’t think I did that bad until I complained to my coworker of my large desire for a diet pepsi. Seeing that she was my competitor in the “don’t buy junk at work” challenge I was quite proud of her when she tried to discourage me from having the diet pop. Her reply was encouraging but then she started to list the junk food that she’s had lately as well. I then started to reply with my short comings on the weekend and it was much worse than I thought I’d been.

Here’s the list which happened from around noon Saturday through to Sunday night:

  • Two bite brownies (I tried to actually do 3 bites per brownie but that didn't work out so well)
  • Kettle chips (some awesome bacon type flavour)
  • McDonalds fries
  • Almost an entire bag of life brand jube jubes
  • A bag of microwave popcorn with extra butter added
  • Keith’s cider (6 bottles)
  • Wild vines blackberry (½ bottle)
  • Fat Elvis sandwich from the early bird with fresh cut taters as my side. 

I only ate half of the entire meal but what I did eat was fantastic. For those of you not familiar with the sandwich, it has a panko coated and deep fried banana, in a peanut butter sandwich made of French toast with slices of smoked bacon in there. I ended up taking the top layer off and eating it with a knife and fork. Most of my taters didn't get eaten either but I left feeling incredibly full and satisfied.

Now that the weekend is over, I’m back to eating healthy again. It wasn’t worth feeling so gross most of Sunday afternoon from eating all the sugar. I received a meal plan from a seller promoting the ideal protein based diet without having to spend the fees on set up and paying the full price for the food. I’ll still be using the packaged food but being realistic, I’m adding some real food back into the mix. My wheat intake is going to be kept low as well in an attempt to get the bloating at a minimum.

Today went well, no cheating expect for a can of coke zero when I got home. Pancakes for breakfast with a vanilla pudding for a snack. I had a salad of mixed greens, broccoli and cauliflower with a chicken breast for lunch. A pretzel peanut butter bar for an afternoon snack followed by grilled sausage with a hefty salad for dinner with balsamic vinegar on top. I had no desire for an after dinner snack so I’m thinking the high protein tons of veggie plan might be good for me.

I also got a message from a friend who wanted to share a treat with me. I thought I’d share it with you since I won’t be able to eat it for a while but thought I’d share in case some of you want a fun snack. They’re called moo moo bars and taste just like cheese cake and are only 100 calories. She gets them from Goodness Me but if any of you London readers find one in the city limits, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment