Sunday, September 23, 2012

Size matters

Or really I should say it’s a matter of size. I went shopping yesterday for pants that didn’t make me look like Patton. I’m having a major case of “saggy bum” because they’re so loose in the caboose so I thought rather than waiting a few more pounds, I’d take to the mall and find something more flattering.

I wandered into Reitmans, which just so happens to be my favourite place for work clothes. I instantly went to the plus section to grab some to pants to try on. My friend who works there reminded me of their new sizing structure, which has some larger sizes in their “normal” section. I found some lovely pants in size 17 which while hold me over for at least the next 15-20 lbs.

When I got home Neil was wondering why the size code was bigger than what I had picked up at the last sale, but smaller in actual size. I’m still not sure how it works but this is how I think it goes:
Plus has 14, 16, 18 and up
Regular has the odd numbers, 13, 15, 17
From what I can tell it goes (form biggest to smallest) 18+, 16+, 17 (reg), 14+, 15(reg), 13 (reg)

I have no idea how it all works out, all I know it’s nice to have the fit of a regular with a little extra room, but not so much it looks like they’re plus sized. If you’ve never worn plus sized pants, you might not get it. It’s like for some reason, they think that when you’re plus sized you need a totally different fit than regular and they put extra fabric in places that you just wouldn’t think need it.

In any case, I’m glad that I’m so close to being out of plus sizes. I’d love to be able to shop anywhere I wanted again and be able to grab onto a trend when it happens as opposed to my pleasantly plump stores being unable to get their lines adapted to suit us larger ladies.

One of the fun purchases yesterday were my new wedding shoes. They’re blingtacular, not so high that I feel unsteady and wide enough to not squish my toes. I’m going to give myself a pedi on Thursday night to make sure it will last through to the wedding on Tuesday. It’s needed as you can see in the pic with my big toe only paint job.



This afternoon, once Neil as functional, we went for another nice skate in the park. Yes, it was 13 degrees but with a hoodie and long pants it wasn’t so bad. We did two and a half loops of Greenway park. We did a nice steady 8.6k, not as much as the last time we went but it was nice and refreshing to get out and exercise.

Food throughout the day was great - pancakes, turkey bacon and broccoli, parm mango chipotle fish with salad were the main courses but I still slipped in an atkins bar in the afternoon and a chocolate mousse bar (fake mars bar) after dinner. I’m trying to be more consistent with meals on the weekend since I don’t eat as much as during the week. I get less accurate weigh ins when I essentially starve myself on the weekends.

I’ve decided to set a few new rewards for myself. I know it’s not good form to reward yourself on a diet with poor eating choices but sometimes it has to be done. I once had Five Guys in the states with a friend of mine. She unfortunately couldn’t eat there because of her nut allergy (they cook everything in peanut oil) but her now husband asked her to pick up some fries from there and bring them back. I figured I’d see what all the fuss was about and had a burger and fries. I’m a sucker for fresh cut fries so once I had a taste, I was hooked. The burger was great too - a nice variety of toppings to put on at no extra cost. We just got one in town so I’ve been dying to visit.

I think once I get to 40 lbs down, I’ll treat myself to a burger (still no bun) but a nice order of fries. 50 lbs down will be Jack Astor’s for pan bread and any main that comes with a super loaded baked tater. 60 lbs is still open, as is 70 and the ultimate goal of 80. Maybe those will be more material goods reward based because I’m sure I’ll need a completely new wardrobe at my goal weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment